All residency programs at LAU are overseen by the Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education and by the Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC).
GMEC members include the Assistant Dean for GME, program directors of the various programs and elected residents representing the resident body.
The roles and responsibilities of the GMEC include the following:
- Develop and review policies and procedures concerning all issues of residency including leaves, duty hours, rotations, grievance etc.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the selection, evaluation, promotion, transfer, or dismissal of residents in compliance with the ACGME-I requirements.
- Liaison with the program directors to keep track of residents’ performance.
- Assure that the program directors are providing lectures and residency education throughout the year.
- Assure that the program directors maintain proper oversight of and liaison with the affiliated institutions’ program directors.
- Review and approve the residency training programs of the various departments and insure they meet the standards for ACGME-I.
- Review and standardize the evaluation tools of the various residency programs.
- Investigate the patient exposure of residents and plan for further affiliations to cover all educational and hands on experience of residents.
- Collect information regarding the In-Service Examinations of the various residency programs and plan for residents’ registration.
- Discuss with program directors about tools to enhance the residents’ education, accordingly send the specific proposals to purchase the requested tools.
- Observe & monitor the programs’ supervision of residents and ensure that the supervision is consistent with the provision of safe and effective patient care
- Observe and monitor the various programs to ensure that the educational needs of residents are met, including enough patient exposure needed to attain competencies as well as other applicable ACGME-I requirements.
- Discuss and set promotion criteria for residents among the various residency programs.
- Attend to the recommendations of the residents’ representative and accordingly devise action plans.
- Conduct an annual review of the various residency programs
- Determine the number of residents to be recruited and submit the list to the Dean
- Make recommendations on resident stipends, benefits, and funding for residents’ various educational activities.