Alain Sabri, MD, MPH
Department of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
Assistant Dean for Faculty Recruitment
Chair, Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Dr. Alain Sabri is an American Board-certified specialist in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
He currently serves as Clinical Professor and Founding Chair of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Lebanese American University Medical Center-Rizk Hospital. He is also an Assistant Dean at the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine.
Dr. Sabri graduated from the American University of Beirut’s Faculty of Medicine in 1992. He completed his general surgery residency training at Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington, D.C., followed by residency training in Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery at Case Western Reserve University Hospitals of Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A. He then pursued two sub-specialty fellowships in Head and Neck Cancer/Skull Base Surgery-Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery (1999-2000) and in Otology/Neurotology (2000-2001) at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee. Dr. Sabri also holds a master’s degree in Hospital and Health Management from Ecole Supérieure des Affaires (affiliated with the Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de Paris). He pursued additional Health Leadership courses at l’Institut Européen d’Administration des Affaires (INSEAD).
Dr. Sabri began his professional career as an Assistant Professor at the world-famous Mayo Clinic of Rochester, Minnesota and was voted Teacher of the Year in 2003. In 2004, he returned to Lebanon to join the American University of Beirut Medical Center as an Associate Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and was appointed the department’s Chair in 2011. In parallel, Dr. Sabri served as AUBMC’s Associate Chief of Staff.
Shortly thereafter, he was recruited by Cleveland Clinic, U.S.A. and was appointed founding Chairperson of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the Abu Dhabi campus, where, with a carefully selected team, he established one of the busiest services at that institution. In collaboration with the Cleveland Clinic leadership, he contributed to launching one of the most ambitious projects in the region and the world at that time. He was promoted to Professor at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine back in the U.S., returning later to Lebanon to take on his current role.
- Practice of Sleep Medicine in the World: Challenges, Knowledge, Gaps and Unique Needs by A. Sabri, H. Attarian , M-L. Koniski. In progress, 2021
- Medical Otology-Neurotology by A. Sabri, M. Hamid, L. Lustig, 2020, in press.
- Sabri A, Abikanaan G. Facial Nerve Disorders: Diagnosis and Management. In Medical Otology-Neurotology, by A. Sabri, M. Hamid, L. Lustig, 2020, in press.
- Sabri A, Abikanaan G. Otologic Manifestations of Systemic Diseases. In Medical Otology-Neurotology, 2020
- Stepnick D, Sabri A. Reconstructive Techniques of the Anterior Mandibular Arch. In Surgical Reconstruction of the Face and Anterior Skull Base. Editors: Maniglia AJ, Stucker FJ and Stepnick DW. WB Saunders Co. 1999:197-219
- Gassner, HG, Sabri A, Olsen K. Malignant Neoplasms of the Oropharynx. In Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery. Editors: Cummings C, et al. 2004
- Sabri A, Koaik Y, Itani M: The value of close monitoring in vestibular rehabilitation therapy, Journal of Laryngology and Otology (2017 Mar) 131(3):227-231. doi: 10.1017/S0022215116009750. Epub 2016 Dec 23
- Hamdan A, Jabbour J, Dowli A, Sabri A, Azar S: Phonatory symptoms and impact on quality of life in female patients with goiter. Ear Nose and Throat Journal (2016 Jul) 95(7):E5-E10
- Ramia M, Musharrafieh U, Khaddage W, Sabri A. Revisiting Down syndrome from the ENT perspective: review of literature and recommendations. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol (2013) 271(5):863-9. doi: 10.1007/s00405-013-2563-4. Epub 2013 May 21
- Starkman SJ, Olsen SM, Lewis JE, Olsen KD, Sabri A. Lipomatous lesions of the parotid gland: Analysis of 70 cases. Laryngoscope (2013) 123(3):651-6
- Dardas M, Abboud M, Salti I, Sabri A, Shoucair M, Saleh M, Azar S, Rodriguez-Galindo C, Muwakkit S. Thyroid cancer in Lebanese children and adolescents: A 15-year experience at a single institution. Pediatr Hematol Oncol (2009) 26(6):439-47
- Pogodzinski MS, Sabri AN, Lewis JE, Olsen KD . Retrospective study and review of polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma. Laryngoscope (2006) 116(12):2145-9
- Moukarbel RV, Sabri AN . Current management of head and neck schwannomas. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg (2005) 13(2):117-22
- Battaglia AS, Sabri AN, Jackson CG. Management of chronic otitis media in the only hearing ear. Laryngoscope (2002) 112(4):681-5
- Attarian HP, Sabri AN. When to suspect obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Symptoms may be subtle, but treatment is straightforward. Postgrad Med (2002) 111(3):70-6; quiz 14
- Sniezek JC, Netterville JL, Sabri AN. Vagal paragangliomas. Otolaryngol. Clin. North Am., (2001) 34(5):925-39, vi
Professional and Research Interests
- ENT (Ear Nose Throat)
- Head and Neck Surgery
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Science, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon, 1985-1988
- Doctor of Medicine, American University of Beirut, 1988-1992
- Internship and Residency in General Surgery, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, D.C., U.S.A., 1992-1994
- Research Fellowship, Case Western Reserve University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A., 1994-1995
- Residency training in Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery, Case Western Reserve University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio, 1995-1999
- Fellowship, Head & Neck Cancer/Skull base Surgery—Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A., 1999-2000
- Fellowship, Otology/Neurology Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A., 2000-2001
- Masters in Hospital and Health Management, Ecole Supérieure des Affaires with Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de Paris, 2011-2012
Certification and Licensure
- FLEX, Federal Licensure Examination: 1993
- American Board of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, Date of Certificate: 2000
- American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Date of Certificate: 2004
- Honor award, Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery: for exceptional services in the scientific programs, exhibits, continuing education course and instructional courses of this society”“
- Teacher of the Year Award: Mayo Clinic 2002-2003
- Dean’s Honor List: American University of Beirut
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Head and Neck Society — International Board member
- American College of Surgeons
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Broncho-esophagological Association
- North American Skull Base Society
- Mayo Clinic Alumni Association
- Voice Foundation: Vice President, Lebanon Chapter