Bassem Safadi, MD
Division of General Surgery
Chair, Department of Surgery
- Dakour Aridi H, Khazen G, Safadi BY. Comparison of outcomes between laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy in a Lebanese bariatric surgical practice. Obes Surg. 2018 Feb;28(2):396-404.
- Dakour Aridi H, Asali M, Fouani T, Alami RS, Safadi BY. Gastroesophageal reflux disease after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy with concomitant hiatal hernia repair: An unresolved question. Obes Surg. 2017 Nov;27(11):2898-2904.
- Dakour-Aridi HN, El-Rayess HM, Abou-Abbass H, Abu-Gheida I, Habib RH, Safadi BY. Safety of concomitant cholecystectomy at the time of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: Analysis of the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program database. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2017 Jun;13(6):934-941.
- Dakour Aridi HN, Wehbe MR, Shamseddine G, Alami RS, Safadi BY. Long-term outcomes of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass conversion of failed laparoscopic gastric band. Obes Surg. 2017 Jun;27(6):1401-1408.
- Dakour Aridi HN, Tamim H, Mailhac A, Safadi BY. Concomitant hiatal hernia repair with laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is safe: Analysis of the ACS-NSQIP database. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2017 Mar;13(3):379-384.
- Ramly EP, Alami RS, Tamim H, Kantar R, Elias E, Safadi BY. Concomitant removal of gastric band and sleeve gastrectomy: Analysis of outcomes and complications from the ACS-NSQIP database. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016 Jun;12(5):984-988
- Dakour Aridi H, Alami R, Tamim H, Shamseddine G, Fouani T, Safadi B. Long-term outcomes of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: A Lebanese center experience. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016 Nov;12(9):1689-1696.
- Aridi HD, Alami RS, Fouani T, Shamseddine G, Tamim H, Safadi B. Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in adults presenting for bariatric surgery in Lebanon. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016 Feb;12(2):405-11.
- Safadi BY, Shamseddine G, Elias E, Alami RS. Definitive surgical management of staple line leak after sleeve gastrectomy. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2015 Sep-Oct; 11(5) : 1037-43.
View Dr. Safadi’s publications on PubMed.
Professional and Research Interests
- Treatment of Morbid Obesity
- Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Surgery of the GI tract
Education and Training
- Bacc II, International College, Beirut, 1985
- B.S. in Chemistry, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon, 1988
- M.D. Degree, AUB School of Medicine, 1992
- Internship in Surgery, Washington Hospital Center, Washington D.C., U.S.A., 1993
- Residency in Surgery, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A., 1997
- Fellowship in Surgical Endoscopy, Mt Sinai Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, 1998
- Fellowship in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery, University of California at San Fransisco, U.S.A., 1999
Professional Memberships and Organizations
- American University of Beirut Penrose Award 1992
- AUB Academic Excellence Award 1992
- AUB AOA Honor Medical Society
- Diplomate, American Board of Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatic Surgery (ASMBS)
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity (IFSO)
- Chair, Scientific and Research Committee IFSO-MENA Chapter
- President Elect, IFSO-Lebanon Chapter