Elie Abi Nader, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Acting Chair, Department of Anesthesiology
Dr. Elie Abi Nader is an experienced American Board-certified anesthesiologist with special interest in neuroanesthesia, bariatric and non-operating room anesthesia.
Dr. Abi Nader received his M.D. degree from the American University of Beirut, Lebanon, in 1978. Afterwards, he joined the Johns Hopkins University Hospital in Maryland, U.S.A., for a four-year residency in anesthesiology. He remained for a six-month fellowship in cardiac anesthesia at the same institution, then moved to Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, for a six-month training in neuroanesthesia. Subsequently he joined the University of California-Davis for one year, then spent four years at the Barrow Neurologic Institute in Phoenix, Arizona, where he acquired extensive experience in neuro- and trauma anesthesia. In 1987, he moved back to California to join a private practice group at Bakersfield Memorial Hospital, practicing there for five years before returning to Lebanon and joining the Rizk Hospital (now LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital) in 1993.
Dr. Abi Nader served as Chair of the Department of Anesthesiology during his early years at the hospital and has held that position since 2009. He also served as the hospital chief of staff between the years 2013-2015.
Professional and Research Interests
- Bariatric Surgery
- Non-Operating Room Anesthesia (NORA)
Education and Training
- Doctor of Medicine, American University of Beirut, Lebanon, 1974-1978
- Residency in Anesthesiology, Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Maryland, U.S.A., 1979 - 1983
- Fellow in Cardiac Anesthesia, Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Maryland, 1983-1984
- Fellow in Neuroanesthesia, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, U.S.A., 1984
- Diplomate of the American Board of Anesthesiology, 1984
Professional Memberships and Organizations
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Lebanese Society of Anesthesiologists