Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the admission requirements to the M.D. program at LAU?
Please see the Admission page.
2. What is the MCAT?
MCAT stands for the Medical College Admission Test. It is an entrance exam for medical school. The test has four subject areas:
- Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems
- Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems
- Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior
- Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills
For more information on registration and test dates, refer to the Association of American Medical Colleges website and contact the AMIDEAST office.
3. What are the GPA/Average and MCAT scores for a student to be considered for medical school?
Admission to the medical school will be on a competitive basis. The higher your GPA and MCAT scores are, the more competitive you are as an applicant. For admission in the year 2017, only three MCAT attempts will be allowed and we will consider the highest total score. In case of more than three MCAT sittings, the first three sittings will be considered only.
4. Where will clinical practice take place?
During their clinical years, students train at the main LAU teaching and research facility, the LAU Medical Center–Rizk Hospital (LAUMC–RH), in addition to other LAU clinical affiliates, serving either as sites for core clerkships, such as the Psychiatry clerkship at the Psychiatric Hospital of the Cross, Otolaryngology clerkship at the Sacred-Heart Hospital, Pathology at the Clemenceau Medical Center (CMC), and Emergency Department at the Military Hospital, or as sites for elective rotations.
5. How long is the M.D. program?
It is a four-year post-bachelor program, following which the student receives the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
6. When should I apply?
Students must apply to the Medical School by January 13, 2017 (for early admission) or by March 31, 2017 (for regular admission).
7. How do I schedule an interview?
You do not have to do so. Appointments for interviews are given after members of the LAUMS Admissions Committee review all completed applications, and based on the review result, an applicant may be invited to the school for an interview.
8. If I hold a B.S. from a university other than LAU (local or abroad), can I still apply to the School of Medicine?
Yes, provided that you have met all LAU premed requirements or their LAU approved equivalents, in addition to meeting the English Language Proficiency requirement.
9. If I am accepted the first year and did not enroll, or if I am not accepted the first year, can I apply the second year?
Admission is valid only for the academic year for which a student applies. If an applicant is accepted and for some reason does not register, then his or her admission is forfeited. To join the Faculty of Medicine at some later time, the student (whether previously accepted or not) will have to reapply, present complete documents, and compete with the new applicants.
10. How much is the tuition fee and does it increase yearly?
For academic year 2016-17, the tuition fee is USD $30,430. Students enrolled in a certain academic year will pay the same yearly tuition fee for the four years of medical studies.
11. Any scholarship, financial aid?
A financial aid program is available for students including scholarships and loans. For more information, please contact the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office - Byblos Campus http://admissions.lau.edu.lb/aid/contact.php. The deadline for applying for financial aid is March 31, 2017.
12. Important dates to remember:
Early Acceptances: January 13, 2017
Regular Acceptances: March 31, 2017
MCAT scores: Applicants must sit for the MCAT by end of March 2017, and scores should be submitted to the Admissions Office by May 2, 2017. Applicants taking the exam beyond that day might not be accommodated. (Please select LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine as recipient of the MCAT scores).
Financial Aid application deadline: March 31, 2017.
For the class beginning in 2017:
Orientation day: 2017 (Date to be confirmed)
First day of classes: 2017