Research at the Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine
Research at the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine has entered an exciting period of growth. Dedicated faculty with wide-ranging expertise are engaged in clinical, translational, and basic-science research studies. Many have been awarded external and institutional grants to support their original work, and many maintain successful collaborations with other prominent scientists either locally or internationally. The formation of a Research Unit is but one indicator of the burgeoning research environment at the school of medicine. Along with faculty projects, student and resident research activities are on the rise. Instruction in research methodology is an integral part of the medical curriculum, and students can take advantage of a myriad of opportunities in clinical, basic-science, epidemiologic, or cross-disciplinary research at LAU.
To view publications by members of the school of medicine community, search the LAU Repository.
Office of Research
Research activities at the school of medicine are advancing with the support of a rising research infrastructure. The Office of Research and its center of operations, the Research Unit located at LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital, were established to assist faculty in all aspects of their research endeavors. The office has engaged an administrative coordinator and a dedicated biostatistician. Several post-doctoral fellows in clinical research have been actively engaged in research at the school and the hospital, and affiliations with other prestigious universities are in development. The Office of Research aims to enhance the research curriculum for medical students and residents, and along with the Office of Graduate Studies and Research, seeks to educate them in all aspects of conducting research, writing, and publishing of their work. A series of workshops on research methodology has been established and is open to both faculty and residents, and a one-week introductory course has been designed to prepare the entering research fellows. Additionally the School of Medicine Research Committee has revised and implemented the process needed for the conduct of good clinical studies at the school of medicine and LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital, and is engaged in strategic planning and oversight of all research activities involving core and clinical faculty.
The objectives of the Office of Research are to
- Secure and support research infrastructure
- Assist faculty members in developing proposals for strategic research initiatives
- Support faculty members in securing research funding and support
- Build and support synergies between disciplines and with other Faculties throughout LAU
- Develop, maintain and enrich research partnerships
- Establish user-friendly research policies and procedures to facilitate the conducting of research
- Ensure ethical conduct in research, and adherence to Institutional Review Board policies and procedures
- Support faculty members in both clinical research and basic research, and promote collaboration in order to foster the development of translational research
- Create and foster research partnerships with other universities in Lebanon and around the world
Christel Dagher, Clinical Research Unit Administrator
LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital
Telephone: +961 1 200800, ext. 2566