The LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine seeks students who demonstrate academic excellence and a commitment to the values of the medical profession and to the values of our school as expressed in our mission.
The class starting Med I in September 2021 should expect graduation with an M.D. in 2025.
Admission to the school of medicine normally is based on a composite evaluation of the following criteria: (See Comments* below regarding exceptional requirements for the class starting in September 2021.)
- Competitive overall grade average and GPA score on graduation with a bachelor’s degree,
- Competitive grades on the Core Courses* in science,
- Competitive scores on the MCAT* examination (The MCAT may be taken twice only; the highest grades will be considered), and
- Performance on the admission interview: Students with satisfactory academic achievements and MCAT scores will be selected for an interview.
* Following the suspension of the MCAT administration in Lebanon, and the recent announcement by the AAMC that MCAT exams will not be administered in Lebanon before March 2021, the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine will waive the MCAT score in the selection for the 2021-2022 Medicine Year. The school will use the scores of the cumulative GPA, the core GPA, and interviews in making decisions for admission.
*Applicants may not take the Pass/No Pass (P/NP) option for any required premedical Core Courses, starting with the fall 2020 semester. Core Courses that were taken with the P/NP option in the spring or summer 2020 term, and elective courses taken with the P/NP option in any term, will be accepted with the application. However, P/NP courses may not exceed 20% of the student’s bachelor’s degree total number of credits.
Required Science Core Courses
|BIO201||General Biology I||4|
|BIO202||General Biology II - Prerequisite: BIO201||4|
|CHM201||Chemical Principles - Prerequisite: CHM101 or equivalent||3|
|BIO321||Genetics - Prerequisites: BIO201 and BIO202||3|
|BCH301||Biochemistry - Prerequisite: BIO201||4|
|CHM311||Organic Chemistry I - Prerequisite: CHM201||3|
|CHM312||Organic chemistry II - Prerequisite: CHM311||3|
|CHM313||Organic Chemistry I Lab - Pre-or co-requisite: CHM311||1|
|CHM314||Organic Chemistry II Lab - Prerequisite: CHM311 and Lab. Pre-or co-requisite: CHM312.||1|
|PHY301||Classical Physics for Life Sciences - Prerequisite: MTH 200.||3|
|PHY302||Classical Physics for Life Sciences Lab - Pre-or co-requisite: PHY301||1|
|PHY305||Modern Physics for Life Sciences - Prerequisite: MTH 200||3|
|PHY306||Modern Physics for Life Sciences Lab - Pre- or co-requisite: PHY305||1|
To apply, please download the application form in PDF. Follow the included instructions and fill out this form electronically.
Dates to Remember
Early Acceptances: To be considered for early acceptances, applications must be received by January 15, 2021. Early acceptances will be issued in February-March 2021. Students who were not selected for early acceptances and still qualify for interview, will be considered for regular acceptances.
Regular Acceptances: Applications must be received by March 31, 2021. Acceptances will normally be issued over the period of April to June 2020.
MCAT scores: Normally applicants would be required to sit for the MCAT before the end of March 2021. However due to the COVID-19 pandemic, MCAT exams will not be administered in Lebanon before March 2021 per decision of the AAMC. Therefore the school of medicine will use the scores of the cumulative GPA, core GPA, and interviews, and will waive the MCAT requirement, in making the selection for the 2021-2022 Medicine Year.
Financial Aid Application Deadline
March 31, 2021.
Class starting in fall 2020
- Orientation day: August 24, 2020.
- First day of classes: August 24, 2020.
Please note that dates may be subject to change.
Interviews are granted to selected applicants after the School Admissions Committee has reviewed all completed applications and made its recommendations.
Merit scholarships are offered to top-ranking accepted students who applied for early acceptance.
Tuition and Financial Aid (Student Loans)
Students enrolled in a given academic year pay the same yearly tuition fee for the four years of medical study.