Ahlam Azar, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Dr. Azar Ahlam is Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics, specializing in endocrinology, at the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine and LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital. She has expertise in pediatric endocrinology, diabetology, and childhood obesity.
She completed her M.D. degree at the University of Auvergne I- France in 2007, then pursued a four-year residency training in Pediatrics at the Pierre and Marie Curie University (Paris) and several hospitals of the Assistance publique – Hôpitaux de Paris (AP-HP), between 2007 and 2012. She received an Interuniversity Diploma (DIU) in pediatric endocrinology from Paris Diderot University - Paris VII (2011). She then completed a two-and-a-half-year fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology from 2012 to 2014 at Robert Debré Hospital – Paris.
Dr. Azar is an active member of multiple local and international scientific committees. She is also an active researcher and has authored many publications. Her current areas of research include congenital hypothyroidism, familial hypercholesterolemia, and childhood obesity.
Dr. Azar has served as a consultant in Pediatric Endocrinology at a number of local hospitals. She has expertise in a variety of endocrinologic diseases of childhood (related to puberty, growth, and other conditions), diabetology, and childhood obesity.
- Mircher C, Sacco S, Cieuta C, Marey I, Gambarini A, Stora S, Durand S, Polak M, Baruchel A, Schlumberger E, Dewailly J, Azar-Kolakez A, Guéant R-M, Guéant J-L, Borderie D, Bonnefont-Rousselot D, Blondiaux, E, Rave A, Sturtz FG. Thyroid hormone and folinic acid in young Down syndrome children: The phase 3 ACTHYF trial. Genetics in Medicine (2020) 22:44–52.
- Wintjens R, Bozon D, Belabbas K, MBou F, Girardet J-P, Tounian P, Jolly M, Boccara F, Cohen A, Karsenty A, Dubern B, Carel J-C, Azar-Kolakez A, Feillet F, Labarthe F, Colin Gorsky A-M, Horovitz A, Tamarindi C, Kieffer P, Lienhardt A, Lascols O, Di Filippo M, Dufernez F. Global molecular analysis and APOE mutations in a cohort of Autosomal Dominant Hypercholesterolemia patients in France. J Lipid Res (2016 Mar) 57(3):482-91.
- Carlier Gonod A, Azar A, Lecomte N, Amouyal Perrod M, Prevot M, Jacques A, Guilmin Crepon S, Carel JC. Arbitrary Cutoffs Lead to Underestimation of Metabolic Abnormalities in Obese Children: The Value of Age- and Sex-adjusted Normative Values. European Society Pediatric Endocrinology Abstracts (2016) 86: P2-527
- Azar-Kolakez A, Ecosse E, Dos Santos S, Leger J. All-cause and disease-specific mortality and morbidity in patients with congenital hypothyroidism treated since the neonatal period: A national population-based study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. (2013 Feb) 98(2):785-93.
Professional and Research Interests
- Childhood endocrine diseases (related to growth, puberty, thyroid conditions, and others)
- Diabetes in children
- Childhood obesity
Education and Training
- M.D. degree, University of Auvergne I-France, 2007
- Interuniversity Diploma (DIU) in pediatric endocrinology – Paris Diderot University (Paris VII), 2011
- Residency in Pediatrics, Pierre and Marie Curie University, France, 2012
- Fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology, Robert Debré Hospital, 2014
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- French Society of Pediatric Endocrinology
- European Society of Pediatric Endocrinology
- Lebanese Pediatric Society