Rechdi Ahdab, MD, PhD
Division of Clinical Neurophysiology
Clerkship Director in Neurology
Dr. Rechdi M.N. Ahdab is Associate Tenured Professor at the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine, and is the Clerkship Director in Neurology. Dr. Ahdab joined the school of medicine in 2011, shortly after its inception in 2010.
Born in the United States of America, he received his M.D. degree from the Lebanese University, and afterward pursued a five-year residency in Neurology at the same institution. He then traveled to Paris to complete two years of specialized training in stroke and multiple sclerosis. Subsequently, Dr. Ahdab joined Paris-Est University for a three-year Fellowship in Clinical Neurophysiology. In parallel, he obtained a Ph.D. in Pharmacology and Biotherapy from that same university and a diploma in clinical neurophysiology from Lille II University.
Dr. Ahdab returned to Lebanon in 2011 to join the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine. His areas of expertise include clinical neurophysiology, peripheral nerve disorders, multiple sclerosis and stroke. He is expert in the fields of neuromodulation (transcranial magnetic stimulation and transcranial direct current stimulation) and intraoperative neuromonitoring. He has a busy outpatient practice, yet he remains very involved in teaching and clinical research. Since joining the LAU Medical Center-Risk Hospital, Dr. Ahdab has expanded the scope of the laboratories of neurophysiology to include specialized techniques such as abnormal movement recording and cortical excitability studies. He has been the Clerkship Director of Neurology since 2011, and over the years has introduced major enhancements to the Neurology Clerkship in alignment with accreditation standards. As co-director of the residency program in Neurology, he had a major role in developing the program for the school of medicine. He is actively involved in the teaching, assessment and mentoring of medical students, residents, and fellows. He has trained several neurologists, who are now successful practicing physicians both in Lebanon and abroad.
As a member of the School of Medicine Research Committee, Dr. Ahdab contributed to establishing procedures and policies for research, and helped streamline the process of good conduct of research at the school of medicine and LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital. He has secured several grants and established research agreements with centers both within and outside of Lebanon to conduct his projects. Of late, his research has focused on neuromodulation and peripheral neuropathy. Dr. Ahdab has been involved in several clinical studies and has given numerous lectures locally, regionally and internationally. He is a reviewer for several leading journals and the author of some 60 peer-reviewed publications and book chapters.
Dr. Ahdab is head of the scientific team that will lead Michael Haddad (a paraplegic patient) to the North Pole; the expedition’s primary goal is to raise awareness about climate change. Michael is currently the UNDP Arab State Regional Goodwill Ambassador for Climate Change Action.
- Ahdab R, Madiha M. Shatila MM, Abed Rahman Shatila AR, Khazen G, Freiha J, Salem M, Makhoul K, Nawar R, El Nemr S, Ayache SS, Riachi N. Cortical Excitability measures may predict clinical response to Fampridine in patients with multiple sclerosis and gait impairment. Brain Sci. 2019 Dec 5;9(12).
- Ahdab R, Mansour AG, Khazen G, El-Khoury C, Sabbouh TM, Salem M, Yamak W, Ayache SS, Riachi N. Cathodal Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation of the occipital cortex in Episodic Migraine: A randomized sham-controlled crossover study. J Clin Med. 2019 Dec 26;9(1).
- Mansour A, Ahdab R, Daaboul Y, Korjian S, Morrison DA, Hariri E, Salem M, El Khoury C, Riachi N, Bahous S. Vitamin K2 status and arterial stiffness among untreated migraine patients: A case-control study. Headache. 2019 Nov 25;60(3):589-599.
- Ahdab R, Noureldine MH, Mohammedi K, Nader M, Zouari HG, Nordine T, Créange A, Lefaucheur JP, Ayache SS. The ulnar ratio as a sensitive and specific marker of acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. Clin Neurophysiol. 2018 Aug;129(8):1699-1703.
- Ahdab R, Ayache S, Noureldine MHA, Nordine T, Lefaucheur JP. The medial plantar sensory response: A sensitive marker of acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. Clin Neurophysiol. 2017 Nov;128(11):2122-2124
- Ahdab R, Ayache SS, Farhat WH, Veit Mylius V, Schmidt S, Brugières P, Lefaucheur JP. Reappraisal of the anatomical landmarks of motor and premotor cortical regions for image-guided brain navigation in TMS practice. Human Brain Mapping. 2013 Sept;35(5):2435-2447. doi: 10.1002/hbm.22339.
View Dr. Ahdab’s publications on PubMed.
Education, Training, and Certification
- MD degree, Lebanese University, Beirut, Lebanon, 2000
- Residency in Neurology, Lebanese University, Beirut, Lebanon, 2000-2005
- AFSA (Specialisation) en Neurologie, Paris, 2005-2007
- Fellowship in Clinical Neurophysiology, Hôpital Henri Mondor, APHP, Créteil, France, 2007-2010
- Post-graduate diploma in clinical neurophysiology, Université de Lille 2, France, 2008-2009
- PhD in Pharmacology and Biotherapy, Université Paris Est, Créteil, France, 2008-2010
Professional and Research Interests
- Adult neurology
- Clinical neurophysiology
- Neurologic intraoperative monitoring
Professional Organizations, Memberships, Affiliations, and/or Honors
- Lebanese Neurological Association
- Lebanese League Against Epilepsy
- National Organization for Organ and Tissue Donation and Transplant (NOODT)
- EA 4391, Excitabilité Nerveuse et Thérapeutique, Université Paris-Est-Créteil, France
- PI initiated study: Cortical Excitability Changes Predict Response to Fampridine in Multiple Sclerosis Patients with Walking Disabilities, Co-PI, 2016-2017, Grant from Biogen Idec Switzerland: 37,250 USD
- PI initiated study: Cortical Excitability Changes in Relapsing Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Patients Started on Gilenya (Fingolimod), Co-PI, 2017-2019, Grant from Novartis Switzerland: 200,000 USD
- PI initiated study: Vitamin K2 Status and Arterial Stiffness Among Untreated Migraine Patients: A Case-Control Study: Co-PI
- Grant from Nattopharma ASA, Norway and Omicron Pharmaceuticals, 29,360 USD
- Investigating Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Principal Investigator, 2017-2018, Grant from LAU GSR: 20,000 USD
- Vitamin B6 Toxicity on the Nervous System, Principal Investigator, 2017 CNRS grant, 20,000 USD