Selim Nasser, MD
Foundations Module Coordinator
Pathology Discipline Coordinator
Program Director, Residency in Pathology
Director of Medical Year 1
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Dr. Selim Nasser is Associate Professor of Pathology at the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine, and Chief of Pathology at Clemenceau Medical Center and Sacred Heart Hospital. He is a graduate of St. Joseph University School of Medicine, Beirut, Lebanon. He completed his Pathology residency training and was appointed chief resident at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School in Boston. He also completed two fellowships in Cytopathology and Molecular Genetic Pathology at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School. Dr. Nasser is American Board-certified in Anatomic Pathology and Cytopathology. He held a faculty position in the Pathology Department at Massachusetts General Hospital until his return to Lebanon. He was the first to introduce several new tests to Lebanon, including 1p/19q FISH testing and IDH1 evaluation in brain tumors as well as liquid-based cytology.
He is a founding faculty, the leader of the Pathology program, and the founding program director of the pathology residency program at LAU School of Medicine. He has authored several articles in the field of Pathology. Dr. Nasser is an active member of local and international pathology societies.
Nasser SM and Tannous ZS. Histology and pathology of subcutaneous tissue, in Fat Removal: Invasive and Non-Invasive Body Contouring (ed M. M. Avram), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK. 2015
Al Halabi M, El Hassan J, Nasser SM. Complete remission of peritonitis in a patient with luteinized thecomas of the type typically associated with sclerosing peritonitis using GnRH agonist and anti-estrogen. Gynecol Oncol Rep. 2015 Nov 27;14:38-9.
Nasser SC, Slim M, Nassif JG, Nasser SM. Influence of proton pump inhibitors on gastritis diagnosis and pathologic gastric changes. World J Gastroenterol. 2015 Apr 21;21(15):4599-606
Nasser SM. Flat epithelial atypia of the breast. J Med Liban. 2009;57(2):105-9
Nasser SM. Gene expression profiling in breast cancer. J Med Liban. 2009;57(2):83-8.
Nasser SM. Columnar cell lesions: current classification and controversies. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2004 Feb;21(1):18-24.
Nasser SM, Cibas ES, Crum CP, Faquin WC. The significance of the Papanicolaou smear diagnosis of low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion cannot exclude high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion. Cancer. 2003 Oct 25;99(5):272-6.
Nasser SM, Faquin WC, Dayal Y. Expression of androgen, estrogen and progesterone receptors in salivary gland tumors: Frequent expression of androgen receptor in a subset of malignant salivary gland tumors. Am J Clin Pathol 2003;119:801-806.
Nasser SM, Pitman MB, Pilch BZ, Faquin WC. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Cancer. 2000 Oct 25;90(5):307-11.
View Dr. Nasser’s publications on PubMed.
Professional and Research Interests
- Breast pathology
- Gastrointestinal pathology
- Molecular pathology
Education and Training
- MD Degree, Saint Joseph University, School of Medicine, Beirut, Lebanon
- Lebanese Medical License
- License, Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine, U.S.A
- Residency in Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Masschusetts, U.S.A.
- Fellowship in Cytopathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- Fellowship in Molecular Genetic Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School,
- American Board certification in Anatomic Pathology
- American Board certification in Cytopathology
Professional Memberships and Organizations
- Member of the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP)
- Member of the College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- Past President and Member of the Lebanese Society of Anatomic Pathology
- Partners in Excellence Award for outstanding performance and commitment to excellence, Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners Healthcare, Massachusetts General Physicians Organization, Boston, U.S.A.