Sola Aoun Bahous, MD, PhD, MHPE
Associate Dean for Medical Education
Department of Internal Medicine
Division of Nephrology
Pharmacology Discipline Coordinator
Nephrology Module Coordinator
Dr. Sola Aoun Bahous is an experienced nephrologist with expertise in the evaluation and management of hypertension. Holder of a Ph.D. degree in Cardiovascular Pharmacology from Pierre and Marie Curie Paris VI University in France, Dr. Aoun Bahous manages complicated and resistant hypertension cases, in addition to hypotension cases. She performs many non-invasive procedures to assess arterial stiffness and central pressures and conducts extensive research in the field.
Dr. Aoun Bahous joined the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine in 2008 as a founding member, where she participated in the development of the M.D. program. She then moved her clinical practice to LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital in 2011 and was appointed Assistant Dean for Clinical Affairs. She developed the clinical curriculum at the school and continues to teach and lead curricular design, student assessment and program evaluation. She was appointed as Associate Dean for Medical Education in September 2019, in charge of the undergraduate medical education program. Dr. Aoun Bahous is a strong education professional with a recently acquired master’s degree in Health Professions Education from the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine to combine experience and expertise in medical education. She has significant experience in accreditation and strategic planning at both the university and school levels.
Dr. Aoun Bahous is a member of the American Society of Nephrology, the European Renal Association, and the Association of Medical Education in Europe. She recently joined the International 24 Hour Aortic Blood Pressure Consortium.
- Yannoutsos A, Bahous SA, Safar ME, Blacher J. Clinical relevance of aortic stiffness in end-stage renal disease and diabetes: Implication for hypertension management. Journal of Hypertension; 36(6):1237-1246, 2018
- Mansour A, Hariri E, Daaboul Y, Korjian S, El Alam A, Protogerou A, Kilani H, Karam A, Stephan A, Bahous SA.Vitamin K2 supplementation and arterial stiffness in the renal transplant population — A single-arm, single-center clinical trial. Journal of the American Society of Hypertension; 11(9):589-597, 2017.
- Korjian S, Daaboul Y, El-Ghoul B, Samad S, Salameh P, Dahdah G, Hariri E, Mansour A, Spielman K, Blacher J, Safar ME, Aoun Bahous S. Change in pulse wave velocity and short term development of cardiovascular events in the hemodialysis population. Journal of Clinical Hypertension 18(9):857-863, 2016
- Abi Raad V, Raad K, Daaboul Y, Korjian S, Asmar N, Jammal M, Bahous SA. Medical education in a foreign language and history-taking in the native language. BMC Medical Education 2016; 16:298. DOI 10.1186/s12909-016-0826-7.
- Bahous SA, Thomas F, Pannier B, Danchin N, Safar ME. Country of birth affects blood pressure in the French hypertensive diabetic population. Frontiers in Physiology 2015; 6: 1-7.
View Dr. Bahous’ Google Scholar Citations.
Professional and Research Interests
- Hypertension work-up and management
- Hypotension work-up and management
- Evaluation and treatment of secondary hypertension
- Management of chronic kidney disease and electrolyte imbalance
Education and Training
- M.D., Lebanese University, Beirut, Lebanon, 1995
- Residency in Internal Medicine, Sacred Heart Hospital and St. Georges Hospital, Lebanon, 1994-1997
- Fellowship in Nephrology, Rizk Hospital, Lebanon, 1997-1999
- Fellowship in Hypertension, Broussais Hospital, Paris, France, 1999-2000
- M.Sc. in Cardiovascular Pharmacology, Claude Bernard University, Lyon, France, 2000
- University Diploma in Statistics Applied to Medicine, CESAM (Centre d’Enseignement de la Statistique Appliquée à la Médecine), Paris, France, 2001
- Ph.D. in Cardiovascular Pharmacology, Pierre and Marie Curie University Paris VI, Paris, France, 2005
- Masters in Health Professions Education, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA, 2017
Professional Memberships and Organizations
- International 24 Hour Aortic Blood Pressure Consortium
- American Society of Nephrology
- European Renal Association — ERA-EDTA
- Association of Medical Education in Europe (AMEE)
- Lebanese Society of Nephrology and Hypertension