Vanda Abi Raad, MD, MHPE
Department of Anesthesiology
Assistant Dean for Continuing Medical Education
Director of Clinical Simulation Center
Dr. Vanda Yazbek Karam Abi Raad is Clinical Professor in Anesthesiology at the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine, and Assistant Dean for Continuing Medical Education. She is also the Director of the LAU Clinical Simulation Center and the Co-Director of the OSCE and simulation programs at the school of medicine. Dr. Abi Raad works as attending staff in the Department of Anesthesiology, and she is the Director of the Acute Pain Service at LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital.
Dr. Abi Raad received her Doctor of Medicine degree from Saint Joseph University School of Medicine and completed her Residency in Anesthesiology at the American University of Beirut Medical Center, followed by a Fellowship in Cardiovascular Anesthesia. In addition, she obtained a Diploma in the Pedagogy of University Teaching from the Faculty of Education at St. Joseph University, a Master’s degree in Health Professions Education from the University of Illinois—Chicago, and certification as a Healthcare Simulation Educator from the International Society for Simulation in Healthcare (CHSE).
Dr. Abi Raad has a great interest in regional anesthesia and pain management, having obtained a University Diploma in Regional Anesthesia from the Faculty of Medicine, Marseille-France, and a Diploma in Ultrasound-Guided Regional Anesthesia at the Lebanese University and the University of Rennes-France. She is the author of publications on regional anesthesia, pain medicine, medical education and simulation.
- Yazbeck-Karam VG, Park YS, Tekian A, Youssef N. Evaluating the internal structure and consequential validity evidence of an objective structured clinical examination. Results and experiences from a new medical school. BMC Medical Education · December 2018 DOI: 10.1186/s12909-018-1421
- Zeeni C, Nawwar R, Sidik-Sayyid SM, Barakat HB, Elias S, Yazbeck-Karam VG. Dexmedetomidine for Improved Quality of Emergence from General Anesthesia: A Dose-Finding Study. Anesth Analg. 2017 Dec 29. doi: 10.1213/ANE.0000000000002763. [Epub ahead of print].
- Yazbeck-Karam VG, Barakat H, Aouad M, Harris I, Park YS, Youssef N, Boulet J, Tekian A. Effect of a simulation-based workshop on breaking bad news for anesthesiology residents: an intervention study. BMC Anesthesiology, 2017; 17:77 DOI 10.1186/s12871-017-0374-72017.
- Yazbeck-Karam VG, Siddik-Sayyid SM, Barakat HB, Korjian S, Aouad MT. Haloperidol versus Ondansetron for Treatment of Established Nausea and Vomiting following General Anesthesia: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Anesth Analg 2017; 124 (2), 438-444.
- Yazbeck-Karam V, Raad K, Daaboul Y, Korjian S, Asmar N, Jammal M, Aoun Bahous S. Medical education in a foreign language and history-taking in the native language in Lebanon - a nationwide survey. BMC Med Educ See comment in PubMed Commons. Nov 2016; 16(1):298.
- Yazbeck-Karam V, Aoun Bahous S, Faour W, et al. Influence of standardized patient body habitus on undergraduate student performance in an Objective Structured Clinical Examination. Med Teach. 2014; 36: 240-244.
Professional and Research Interests
- Regional Anesthesia
- Medical Education, Continuing Medical Education and Simulation Based Education
Education and Training
- M.D. Degree, Saint Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon, 1989
- Residency in General Anesthesia, American University of Beirut, Lebanon, completed 1992
- Fellowship in Cardiovascular Anesthesia, American University of Beirut, completed 1993
- Diploma in Regional Anesthesia, Faculty of Medicine, Marseille, France, 2006
- Certification by Arab Board of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, 2008
- Diploma in Pedagogy for Teaching in University, Faculty of Education, Saint Joseph University, 2010
- Diploma in Ultrasound-Guided Regional Anesthesia, Faculty of Medicine, Lebanese University, Beirut and University of Rennes, France, 2011
- Certification in Healthcare Simulation Education (CHSE), International Society for Simulation in Healthcare, 2013 and 2016
- Master in Health Professions Education (MHPE), University of Illinois, Chicago, U.S.A., 2015
Professional Memberships and Organizations
- Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH)
- Society in Europe for Simulation Applied to Medicine (SESAM)
- International Association for the Study of Pain
- Lebanese Society for the Study of Pain
- Lebanese Society of Anesthesiologists
- Lebanese Order of Physicians
Dr. Abi Raad has participated in research grants provided by LAU and by the CNRS (Lebanese Council for Scientific Research).