Joumana Kmeid, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Dr. Joumana Kmeid is Clinical Assistant Professor of Infectious Diseases at the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine and LAU Medical Center-St. John’s Hospital Jounieh.
Dr. Kmeid obtained her M.D. degree in 2009 from the Lebanese University School of Medicine. She completed a residency in Internal Medicine, followed by a fellowship in Infectious Diseases at the American University of Beirut Medical Center in Lebanon in 2014. She then pursued a postdoctoral research fellowship focused on viral infections and tuberculosis in patients with hematological malignancies and solid tumors at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Dr. Kmeid is an active member of multiple local and international scientific committees. She is also an active researcher and has authored many original articles in peer-reviewed journals and book chapters in the field of Infectious Diseases. Her current areas of research include viral infections (including influenza viruses and coronaviruses); antimicrobial resistance and antibiotic stewardship, bacterial infections (including but not limited to brucellosis, salmonellosis and tuberculosis).
Dr. Kmeid is proud and happy to have been able to serve and continues to serve as an infectious diseases practitioner during a world-wide pandemic.
- Kmeid J, Jabbour J-F, Kanj SS. Epidemiology and burden of invasive fungal infections in the countries of the Arab League. Journal of Infection and Public Health. (2020 Dec) 13(12):2080-2086. DOI: 10.1016/j.jiph.2019.05.007
- Kmeid J, Kulkami PA, Batista MV, et al. Active Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection at a comprehensive cancer center, 2006-2014. BMC Infectious Diseases. (2019 Nov) 19(1):934-941. DOI: 10.1186/s12879-019-4586-y
- Sheshadri A, Chemaly RF … Kmeid J, et al. Pulmonary impairment following respiratory viral infections is associated with high mortality in allogeneic hematopoietic call transplant recipients. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation (2019 Apr) 25(4):800-809. DOI: 10.1016/j.bbmt.2018.11.022
- Kmeid J, et al. Acute osteomyelitis with Ureaplasma urealyticum following an infected hydrocele resection in a lymphoma patient on maintenance rituximab. Book chapter (Ch. 7) in Clinical Cases in Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. Elsevier Health Sciences, New York. July 2018.
- Vakil E, Sheshadri A, …Kmeid J, et al. Risk factors for mortality after respiratory syncytial virus lower respiratory tract infection in adults with hematologic malignancies. Transplant Infectious Diseases. (2018 Dec) 20(6):e12994. DOI: 10.1111/tid.12994
- El Chaer F, Shah DP, Kmeid J, et al. Burden of human metapneumovirus infections in patients with cancer: Risk factors and outcomes. Cancer. (2017 Jun) 123(12):2329-2337. DOI: 10.1002/cncr.30599
- Kmeid J, Vanichanan J, Shah DP, et al. Outcomes of influenza infections in hematopoietic cell transplant recipients: Application of an immunodeficiency scoring index. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation: Journal of the American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. (2016) 22:542-548. (DOI: 10.1016/j.bbmt.2015.11.015
- Kanafani ZA, Kmeid J, Nawar T, Assaf SM, Zahreddine N, Kanj SS. Retrospective case series of infections caused by carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae at a tertiary care centre in Lebanon. International Journal of Antimicrobial agents. (2016 April) 47(5):415-416. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2016.02.013
- Kmeid J, Kanafani ZA. Oritavancin for the treatment of acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections: An evidence-based review. Core Evidence (2015 Feb) 10:39-47. DOI: 10.2147/CE.S51284
- Kmeid JG, Youssef MM, Kanafani ZA, Kanj SS. Combination therapy for gram-negative bacteria: What is the evidence? Expert Reviews of Anti-Infective Therapy (2013) 11(12):1355-1362. DOI: 10.1586/14787210.2013.846215
View Dr. Kmeid’s publications on Pubmed.
Professional and Research Interests
- Infectious Diseases
Education and Training
- M.D. degree, Lebanese University, Beirut, Lebanon, 2009
- Residency in Internal Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon, 2012
- Fellowship in Infectious Diseases, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon, 2014
Post Doctoral Research Fellowship, Infections in hematological malignancy and cancer patients, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, U.S.A., 2015
Professional Organizations, Memberships, Affiliations, and/or Honors:
- Lebanese Society for Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology (LSIDCM)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA)
- British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (BSAC)