Fayez Abillama, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Division of Critical Care Medicine
Division of Pulmonary Diseases
Clerkship Director in Intensive Care
Division Head, Pulmonary Diseases and Critical Care Medicine
I studied Critical Care and Anesthesiology in France. Subsequently I worked in France for ten years, then moved to Lebanon where I have practiced as a Critical Care physician. I have significant experience with wounded soldiers, mainly acquired during the 2007 Nahr el Bared battle.
In parallel, I was elected President of the Lebanese Critical Care Society. During my mandate, I organized seminars as well as national and regional congresses. I also organized the first ultrasound seminars dedicated to Reanimation.
At present, I am pursuing work in the area of parenteral nutrition at LAU Medical Center - Rizk Hospital. In addition, I have been involved in national campaigning with the National Organization for Organ and Tissue Donation and Transplant (NOD-lb) in Lebanon.
I am also highly interested in the issue of ethics which is reflected in my past participation in medical ethics committees within our hospital.
I am currently conducting awareness campaigns on Basic Live Support (BLS) directed at the general public.
- Abi Saleh W, Bou Khalil P, Ouaijan K, Abillama F, Akiki S, Ahmad N, Mattar L. Evaluation of nutrition support practices: Results from a nationwide survey, Clin Nutr 2018 Dec;37(6 Pt A):1976-1979. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2017.09.001. Epub 2017 Sep 7
- Blanch L, Abillama FF, Amin P et al. Triage decisions for ICU admission: Report from the Task Force of the World Federation of Societies of Intensive and Critical Care Medicine, J Crit Care 2016 Dec;36:301-305. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2016.06.014. Epub 2016 Jun 22
- Myburgh J, Abillama F, Chiumello D. End-of-life care in the intensive care unit: Report from the Task Force of World Federation of Societies of Intensive and Critical Care Medicine, J Crit Care (2016) 34:125-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2016.04.017
Professional and Research Interests
- Clinical intensive care
- Parenteral nutrition
- Medical ethics
- Teaching and research
Education and Training
- Degree in Critical Care and Anesthesiology, Rene Descartes University — Cohin University Hospital, Paris, France, 1990
- Diploma in Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Paris VII University, 1991
Professional Memberships and Organizations
- Lebanese Order of Physicians
- European Society of Critical Care Medicine
- French Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Lebanese Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Lebanese Society of Anesthesiology
- National Organization for Organ and Tissue Donation and Transplant (NOD-lb)