Fayez Abillama, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Division of Critical Care Medicine
Division of Pulmonary Diseases
Clerkship Director in Intensive Care
Division Head, Pulmonary Diseases and Critical Care Medicine
Interim Chief Medical Officer for Clinical and Emergency Affairs
I studied Critical Care and Anesthesiology in France. Subsequently I worked in France for ten years, then moved to Lebanon where I have practiced as a Critical Care physician. I have significant experience with wounded soldiers, mainly acquired during the 2007 Nahr el Bared battle.
In parallel, I was elected President of the Lebanese Critical Care Society. During my mandate, I organized seminars as well as national and regional congresses. I also organized the first ultrasound seminars dedicated to Reanimation.
At present, I am pursuing work in the area of parenteral nutrition at LAU Medical Center - Rizk Hospital. In addition, I have been involved in national campaigning with the National Organization for Organ and Tissue Donation and Transplant (NOD-lb) in Lebanon.
I am also highly interested in the issue of ethics which is reflected in my past participation in medical ethics committees within our hospital.
I am currently conducting awareness campaigns on Basic Live Support (BLS) directed at the general public.
- Abi Saleh W, Bou Khalil P, Ouaijan K, Abillama F, Akiki S, Ahmad N, Mattar L. Evaluation of nutrition support practices: Results from a nationwide survey, Clin Nutr 2018 Dec;37(6 Pt A):1976-1979. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2017.09.001. Epub 2017 Sep 7
- Blanch L, Abillama FF, Amin P et al. Triage decisions for ICU admission: Report from the Task Force of the World Federation of Societies of Intensive and Critical Care Medicine, J Crit Care 2016 Dec;36:301-305. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2016.06.014. Epub 2016 Jun 22
- Myburgh J, Abillama F, Chiumello D. End-of-life care in the intensive care unit: Report from the Task Force of World Federation of Societies of Intensive and Critical Care Medicine, J Crit Care (2016) 34:125-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2016.04.017
Professional and Research Interests
- Clinical intensive care
- Parenteral nutrition
- Medical ethics
- Teaching and research
Education and Training
- Degree in Critical Care and Anesthesiology, Rene Descartes University — Cohin University Hospital, Paris, France, 1990
- Diploma in Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Paris VII University, 1991
Professional Memberships and Organizations
- Lebanese Order of Physicians
- European Society of Critical Care Medicine
- French Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Lebanese Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Lebanese Society of Anesthesiology
- National Organization for Organ and Tissue Donation and Transplant (NOD-lb)