Hanane Barakat, MD, MHM
Clinical Assistant Professor
Program Director, Residency in Anesthesiology
Interim Chief Medical Officer for Quality and Administrative Affairs
Dr. Hanane Barakat is Clinical Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Director of the Anesthesiology Clerkship, at the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine and LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital. Dr. Barakat works as attending staff in the Department of Anesthesiology, and she is the Chair of the Performance Improvement Committee at LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital.
Dr. Barakat received her Doctor of Medicine degree from the Saint Joseph University School of Medicine in Lebanon, where she also completed her Residency in Anesthesiology and Intensive Care. This was followed by post- residency training in Paris, France. Dr. Barakat is a polyvalent anesthesiologist with great interest in regional anesthesia and pain management.
She obtained a Diploma in Acute Pain Management from Rene Descartes University-France and a University Diploma in Ultrasound-Guided Regional Anesthesia from the Lebanese University.
Dr. Barakat has a vested interest in Quality and Patient Safety and in Clinical Simulation. In 2009 she earned a Master’s degree in Hospital and Health Management from ESA Beirut/Lebanon and Paris 7 University-France, and in 2016 a Diploma in Clinical Simulation from the LAU school of medicine in collaboration with the College of Medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Dr. Barakat has a special interest in medical education and has held her post as Anesthesiology Clerkship Director since 2015.
Professional and Research Interests
- Regional and Obstetric Anesthesia
- Acute Pain Management
- Pediatric Anesthesia
- Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
Education and Training
- Doctor of Medicine, Saint Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon, 1996
- Residency in Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Hotel Dieu de France, Beirut, Lebanon, 1996-2000
- Specialized Training in Anesthesia and Surgical Intensive Care, Rene Descartes University- Paris 5, Paris, France, 2000-2002
- Post-residency Training in Anesthesia at Bichat Hospital and Debr̩ Hospital, Paris, 2000-2002
- Inter-University Diploma (DIU) in Acute Pain Management, Ren̩ Descartes University- Paris 5, 2001
- Master’s degree in Hospital and Health Management, University Paris 7/ Ecole Sup̩rieure des Affaires ESA Beirut, Lebanon, 2010
- University Diploma in Ultrasound Guided Regional Anesthesia, Lebanese University, 2011
- University Diploma in Clinical Simulation, Lebanese American University, 2016
Professional Memberships and Organizations
- Lebanese Society of Anesthesiologists
- Lebanese Order of Physicians