Madona Azar, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor
Division of Endocrinology
Program Director, Residency in Internal Medicine
Program Director, Fellowship in Endocrinology
Dr. Madona Azar obtained her M.D. degree from the Saint Joseph University in Beirut in 2002. Upon graduation from medical school, Dr. Azar completed a one-year residency training in Anesthesiology at the American University of Beirut Medical Center, after which she moved to the United States to pursue a three-year residency training in Internal Medicine at Cooper University Hospital, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Following the completion of her residency training, Dr. Azar pursued a fellowship in Endocrinology at the Pennsylvania State College of Medicine and the University of Oklahoma (OU) Health Sciences Center. Subsequently, in 2009, Dr. Azar joined the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine as Assistant Professor of Medicine in the section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism. Effective 2013, she was appointed as the Associate Fellowship Director of Endocrinology.
In 2015, Dr. Azar’s efforts were recognized by her promotion to the rank of Associate Professor of Medicine, and her assignment as the Director of the Fellowship Program in Endocrinology, which granted her full charge of this program. Dr. Azar maintained these positions until her recruitment by the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine in October 2019.
Throughout her career as faculty and physician at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Dr. Azar held simultaneously multiple leadership positions which she also managed to maintain until her joining LAU: Effective 2016, she served as Director of the Harold Hamm Diabetes Center, Medical Director of the OU Physicians Adult Endocrinology Clinic, as well as Division Chief of the Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism.
Dr. Azar is American Board-certified in Internal Medicine as well as in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism.
She is a member of several international organizations and societies such as The Endocrine Society, the American Diabetes Association and the Association of Program Directors in Endocrinology and Metabolism.
She is also the recipient of numerous honors and awards such as the “OU Medicine Golden Pillar Award for Outstanding Patient Service (which she received three times) and the “Castle Connolly Ltd. America’s Top Doctors/ Endocrinology” for several consecutive years.
In addition, Dr. Azar has been an invited reviewer for international scientific journals and meeting abstracts, and is the author of 15 peer-reviewed publications. Her research interests are focused on diabetes, its epidemiology and complications, as well as diabetes in pregnancy.
- Lim J, Talsania M, Azar M. Spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid leak after initiation of dopamine agonist therapy in macroprolactinomas: Two case reports and a literature review. AACE Clinical Case Reports. 2020 April; 6(2)
- Hunt KJ, Jenkins AJ, Fu D, Stevens D, Ma JX, Kelin RL, Azar M, Zhang SX, Lopes-Virella MF, Lyons TJ, VADT Investigators. Serum Pigment Epithelium-Derived Factor: Relationship with cardiovascular events, renal dysfunction, and mortality in the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial (VADT) cohort. J Diabetes Complications. 2019 Oct;33(10):107410
- Azar M, Stoner JA, Dung Dao H, Stephens L, Goodman JR, Maynard J, Lyons TJ. Epidemiology of dysglycemia in pregnant Oklahoma American Indian women. J Clin Endoc Metab. 2015 Jun 19:jc20151779
- Jenkins AJ, Fu DX, Azar M, Stoner JA, Kaufman D, Zhang S, Klein R, Lopes-Virella M, Ma JX, Lyons TJ, VADT Study Group, Clinical correlates of Serum Pigment Epithelium-Derived Factor in type 2 diabetes patients. J Diabetes Complications. 2014 May-Jun;28(3):353-9
- Azar M, Lyons TJ. Management of pregnancy in women with type 1 diabetes. Minerva Endocrinol. 2013 Dec;38(4):339-49.
- Azar M, Lyons TJ, Alaupovic P, Stoner J, Quiroga C, Kaufman D, Lopes- VirellaM, KleinR, JenkinsAJ, VADT Study Group. Apolipoprotein-defined and NMR lipoprotein subclasses in the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial. J Diabetes Complications. 2013 Aug 1. doi:pii: S1056-8727(13)00113-X. 10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2013.05.005. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hummer K, Azar M. Large remnant ablation in the treatment of metastatic papillary thyroid carcinoma: Case report and literature review. Thyroid Disorders Ther 2013, 2.2 http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2167-7948.1000130
- Azar M, Basu A, Jenkins AJ, Nankervis AJ, Hanssen KF, Scholz H, Henriksen T, Garg SK, Hammad SM, Scardo JA, Aston CE, Lyons TJ. Fat soluble vitamins and pre-eclampsia in type 1 diabetes: A longitudinal study. Diabetes Care. 2011 Jun;34(6):1258-64. Epub 2011 Apr 15
- Stavrakis S, Stoner JA, Azar M, Wayangankar S, Thadani U.
Low-dose aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in patients with diabetes: A meta-analysis. Am J Med Sci. 2011 Jan;341(1):1-9
- Azar M, Gabbay R. Web-based management of diabetes: Has the time come for Telemedicine? Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2009 Jan;83(1):9-17.
View Dr. Azar’s publications on PubMed.
Professional and Research Interests
- Cardiovascular risk reduction in diabetes
- Endocrinology management in pregnancy
Education and Training
- French Baccalaureate Biology Section, College Mariste Champville, Lebanon, 1995
- M.D. degree, Medical School of Saint Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon, 1995-2002
- Categorical Residency in Internal Medicine, Cooper University Hospital, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Camden Campus, U.S.A., 2004-2007
- Fellowship in Endocrinology, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, U.S.A., 2007-2008
- Fellowship in Endocrinology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center College of Medicine, U.S.A., 2008-2009
- Master of Public Health in Epidemiology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, U.S.A., 2013-2016
Professional Memberships and Organizations
- The Endocrine Society
- American College of Physicians
- American Diabetes Association