Roula Husni Samaha, MD
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division Head of Infectious Diseases
Dr. Roula Husni Samaha received her medical-doctor degree from the American University of Beirut. She then specialized in Infectious Diseases at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, U.S.A. Later, she completed her subspecialty training in Infections in Cancer Patients at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. After working there for two years she returned to Lebanon to practice in several hospitals. She joined LAU and soon became a clinical professor at the Gilbert and Rose-Marie School of Medicine and the Chief of the Infectious Diseases division in the Department of Internal Medicine at LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital. Dr. Husni is also the Head of Infection Control at LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital. She is a past president of the Lebanese Society of Infectious Diseases and is very active academically in her field. She has authored many publications in peer-reviewed journals in her specialty, and is a recognized speaker in the region. Dr. Husni’s main aim is to serve her patients and community with absolute dedication to her career.
- Tokajian S, Moghnieh R, Salloum T, Arabaghian H, Alousi S, Moussa J, Abboud E, Youssef S, Husni R. Extended spectrum β-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli in wastewaters and refugee camp in Lebanon. Future Microbiol. 2018; 13(1): 81-95.
- Husni R, Atoui R, Choucair J, Moghnieh R, Mokhbat J, Tabbarah Z, Bizri AR, Tayyar R, Jradeh M, Yared N, Musharrafieh U, Al-Awar G, Helou Z, Dakdouki G, Farra A, Hammoud J, Aoun N, Kanj SS. The Lebanese Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology: Guidelines for the treatment of urinary tract infections. J Med Liban 2017; 65(4): 208-219
- Moghnieh R, Kanafani ZA, Abi Hannah P, Matar MJ, Mokhbat J, Jradeh M, Yared N, Husni R, Abdallah D, Atoui R, Choucairo J, Al-Awar G, Dakdouki G, Farra A, El Helou G, Hammoud J, Aoun N, Kanj SS. The Lebanese Society of Infectious diseases and Clinical Microbiology: Guidelines on the management of febrile neutropenia in adult cancer patients in the era of growing antimicrobial resistance. J Med Liban 2017; 65(2): 63-82.
- Chamoun K, Farah M, Husni R (corresponding). Surveillance of antimicrobial resistance in Lebanese hospitals: Retrospective nationwide compiled data. IJID 2016, 46:64-70.
- Alfaleh FZ, Nugrahini N, Matičič M, … Husni R …. Strategies to manage hepatitis C virus infection disease burden – volume 3 (pages 42–65) Article first published online: 29 OCT 2015 | DOI: 10.1111/jvh.12474.
- Sibley A, Han KH, Abourached A, Husni R. The present and future disease burden of hepatitis C virus infections with today’s treatment paradigm — volume 3 (pages 21—41) Article first published online: 29 OCT 2015 | DOI: 10.1111/jvh.12476
- Liakina V, Hamid S, Tanaka J, Husni R. Historical epidemiology of hepatitis C virus (HCV) in select countries — volume 3 (pages 4—20) Article first published online: 29 OCT 2015 | DOI: 10.1111/jvh.12475
- Moghnieh R, Rafei R, Samaha RH, Hamze M. Genetic and antibiotic susceptibility profiles of drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii from various parts of Lebanon. The International Arabic Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 2014 4(1:4): 1-9
- Abou Shakra D, Abboud Edmond, Abboud Emma, Haidar M, Moghnieh RA, Husni RN, Musharrafieh UM. E. coli, K. pneumoniae and K. oxytoca community-acquired infections susceptibility to cephalosporins and other antimicrobials in Lebanon. J Med Liban 2014 62(2):107-112
- Moghnieh RA, Husni RN, Hamzeh M. Molecular analysis of Acinetobacter baumannii strains isolated in Lebanon using four different typing methods. PLoS One 2014 26;9(12): e115969
Professional and Research Interests
- Infections in immunocompromised patients
- Recurrent urinary infections
- Fever of Unknown Origin
- Adult vaccination
- Combating antimicrobial resistance
- National epidemiology of infectious diseases
- Prevention Infection Control
Education and Training
- B.S. in Biology, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon, 1984-1987
- M.D. Degree, AUB, 1987-1991
- Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine, AUB, 1991 - 1994
- Fellowship in Infectious Diseases and seven months of microbiology training at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, 1994 - 1996
- Certificate, Society for Health Care Epidemiology course, Miami, Florida, 1995
- Fellowship in Infectious Diseases in the Immunocompromised Patient, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Infectious Diseases degree, 1996 — 1997
Professional Memberships and Organizations
- Faculty Associate in Infectious Diseases, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1997 - 1998
- Attending in Internal Medicine and Research in Infectious Diseases, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1998 - 1999
- Infectious Diseases Attending at Rizk Hospital/LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital, 2000 - present
- Infection Control Program Chairman at two hospitals, 2001
- Clinical Associate at Saint Joseph University H.D.F., 2002 - 2005
- President of the Lebanese Society of Infectious Diseases, 2013 - 2015
- LAU Graduate Studies and Research (GSR) fund for study of extended spectrum beta lactamase (ESBL) producing organisms in surgery patients
- GSR fund for research about Candida infections Lebanon