Wadih Ghaname, MD
Clinical Associate Professor,
Chief Medical Officer – LAU Medical Center-St. John’s Hospital
Head of Section, Obstetrics and Gynecology, LAU Medical Center-St. John’s Hospital
Dr. Wadih Ghaname is Clinical Associate Professor at the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine, and Chief Medical Officer and Chief of Section/Obstetrics and Gynecology at the LAU Medical Center-Saint John’s Hospital.
Dr. Ghaname obtained his M.D degree from the Saint Joseph University in Beirut, in 1985. Following his graduation, he completed residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Hôpital de la Conception-Centre Hospitalier Intercommunal de Fréjus Saint-Raphaël in Marseille, France. He graduated successfully from that program in 1990 with a Diploma of Specialty in Obstetrics and Gynecology from both Aix-Marseille University in France and Saint-Joseph University in Beirut, as well as a Diploma in Hysteroscopic and Laparoscopic Surgery from Aix-Marseille University. Subsequently, Dr. Ghaname embarked on advanced fellowship training in Obstetrics and Gynecology also at the Centre Hospitalier Intercommunal de Fréjus Saint-Raphaël in Marseille until 1993. During this training, he earned a Certificate in Reproductive Medicine in 1991.
Dr. Ghaname returned to Lebanon to pursue his clinical career: In 1995, he joined the Faculty of Medicine at the Lebanese University as a Clinical Assistant Professor in Obstetrics and Gynecology. In 2001, he moved to the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK) where he was offered the position of Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He was promoted, in 2015, to the academic rank of Clinical Associate Professor. In parallel, Dr. Ghaname held the position of Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Notre Dame des Secours University Hospital from 2011 until 2017, and was a member of LAU’s part-time faculty during this period. Along with his clinical activity and throughout his 25 years’ experience in Obstetrics and Gynecology, he has been actively engaged in training residents and medical students.
Dr. Ghaname is a member of several prestigious professional organizations such as the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, the French National Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and the European Society of Endoscopy. Dr. Ghaname held the position of Board member of the International Federation of Gynecology & Obstetrics (FIGO) Working Group on Breast Disease from 2017 until 2020, and presented at the FIGO conference in Rio di Janeiro, Brazil. He was further elected President of the Lebanese Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology from 2015 until 2017, and was President of that society’s International Congress (2015-2016). Dr. Ghaname has moderated the International Congress of the Middle East Fertility Society-French National College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Additionally he is a Board Member of the Lebanese National Committee for COVID-19, has held membership on several advisory boards, and is a reviewer for the Journal of Surgical Case Reports.
Dr. Ghaname was tasked in 2019 with the major role in establishing LAU’s clinical and teaching facility at Saint John’s Hospital, and was recruited as Medical Director of the hospital. In April 2021, Dr. Ghaname was appointed as Clinical Associate Professor and Chief of Section in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine / LAU Medical Center-Saint John’s Hospital.
- Fayad F, Ziade N, Karam GA, Ghaname W, Khamashta M. Rheumatic diseases and pregnancy: A national survey about practice patterns among rheumatologists and obstetricians. Clin Exp Rheumatol. (2018 Nov-Dec) 36(6):1014-1021. Epub:2018 May 24. PMID: 29846160.
- Adra A, El Zibdeh MY, Abdul Malek MAM, Hamrahian AH, Abdelhamid AMS, Colao A, Anastasiades E, Aboul Fetooh Ahmed EM, Ezzeddine JI, Abd El Sattar MI, Dabit ST, Ghanameh W, Nedjatian N, El-Kak F. Differential diagnosis and management of abnormal uterine bleeding due to hyperprolactinemia. Middle East Fertility Society Journal (2016) 21(3):137-147, ISSN1110-5690. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mefs.2016.02.001.
- El Kassis N, Atallah D, Moukarzel M, Ghaname W, Chalouhy C, Suidan J, Villet R, Salet Lizee D. Surgical management of pelvic organ prolapse in women: How to choose the best approach. J Med Liban. (2013 Jan-Mar) 61(1):3647. PubMed PMID: 24260839.
Atallah D, El Kassis N, Moukarzel M, Ghaname W, Suidan J, Chalouhy C, Gadonneix P, Villet R. Sacrocolpopexy: from the open approach to laparoscopy: Background, rationale, technique. J Med Liban (2013) 61(1): 55-60.
Rami H, Nasr M, Suidan J, Ghanameh W, Chahine G, Atallah D. Mastectomie avec conservation de l’étui cutané. Une technique revisitée [Skin sparing mastectomy: a revisited technique]. J Med Liban (2009 Apr-Jun) 57(2):115-23. French. PMID: 19623888.
View Dr. Ghaname’s publications on Pubmed.
Professional and Research Interests
- Education of Residents and Medical Students
- Teaching of Surgical Skills
Education and Training
- M.D. Degree with Distinction, St. Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon, 1985
- Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hôpital de la Conception- Centre Hospitalier Intercommunal de Fréjus Saint-Raphaël, Marseille, France
- Fellowship in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hôpital de la Conception- Centre Hospitalier Intercommunal de Fréjus Saint-Raphaël, Marseille
- Diploma of Specialty in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aix-Marseille University , Marseille, France, 1990
- Diploma of Specialty in Obstetrics and Gynecology, St. Joseph University, Beirut, 1990
- Diploma in Hysteroscopic and Laparoscopic Surgery, Aix-Marseille University, Marseille, 1990
- Certificate in Reproductive Medicine, Aix-Marseille University, Marseille, 1991
Professional Organizations, Memberships, Affiliations, and/or Honors:
- President Emeritus of the Lebanese Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Board Member in the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) Working Group
- Member of the French National Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology (CNGOF)
- Member of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE)
- Member of the European Society of Endoscopy
- Reviewer for Journal of Surgical Case Reports, Oxford University