Sahar Semaan, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Department of Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Therapeutics
Division of Diagnostic Radiology
Dr. Sahar Semaan is Clinical Assistant Professor at the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine and a practicing radiologist in the Division of Diagnostic Radiology at the LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital, with expertise that includes:
- Body Imaging encompassing advanced cancer imaging in hepato-biliary, gastrointestinal, and genitourinary diseases as well as state-of-the-art multiparametric prostate MR imaging.
- Musculoskeletal Imaging and image-guided diagnostic and therapeutic procedures including biopsies, aspiration and injection procedures.
Dr. Semaan completed her M.D. at the American University of Beirut in Lebanon in 2011, then pursued a five-year residency in Radiology at the American University of Beirut Medical Center between 2011 and 2016. Subsequently she pursued two fellowships in Oncologic Imaging and Musculoskeletal Radiology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, where she acquired a distinctive expertise in the areas of specialized imaging techniques and skills.
Dr. Semaan has published several peer-reviewed publications in reputable scientific journals, as well as several book chapters. She is also heavily involved in academic teaching of both residents and medical students.
- Semaan S, Vietti Violi N, Lewis S, Chatterji M, Song C, Besa C, Babb JS, Fiel MI, Schwartz M, Thung S, Sirlin CB, Taouli B. Hepatocellular carcinoma detection in liver cirrhosis: Diagnostic performance of contrast-enhanced CT vs. MRI with extracellular contrast vs. gadoxetic acid. Eur Radiol. 2020 Feb;30(2):1020-1030.
- Hamdan AL, Khalifee E, Ziade G, Semaan S. Sexual dimorphism in laryngeal volumetric measurements using magnetic resonance imaging. Ear Nose Throat J. 2019 Apr 24:145561319840568.
- Ziade G, Semaan S, Assaad S, Hamdan AL. Age-related changes affecting the cricoarytenoid joint seen on computed tomography. Ear Nose Throat J. 2018 Aug;97(8):244-256.
- Hectors SJ, Gordic S, Semaan S, Bane O, Hirten R, Jia X, Colombel JF, Taouli B. Diffusion and perfusion MRI quantification in ileal Crohn’s disease. Eur Radiol. 2019 Feb;29(2):993-1002.
- Hectors SJ, Semaan S, Song C, Lewis S, Haines GK, Tewari A, Rastinehad AR, Taouli B. Advanced diffusion-weighted imaging modeling for prostate cancer characterization: correlation with quantitative histopathologic tumor tissue composition—a hypothesis-generating study. Radiology. 2018 Mar;286(3):918-928.
- Semaan S, Makkar J, Lewis S, Chatterji M, Kim E, Taouli B. Imaging of hepatocellular carcinoma response after 90Y radioembolization. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017 Nov;209(5):W263-W276.
- Lewis S, Besa C, Rosen A, Rastinehad AR, Semaan S, Hectors S, Taouli B. Multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging for transition zone prostate cancer: essential findings, limitations, and future directions. Abdom Radiol (NY). 2017 Nov;42(11):2732-2744.
- Ziade G, Semaan S, Ghulmiyyah J, Kasti M, Hamdan ALH. Structural and anatomic laryngeal measurements in geriatric population using MRI. J Voice. 2017 May;31(3):359-362.
- Ziade G, Semaan S, Fakhri G, Natout TE, Hamdan AL. Thyroarytenoid muscle uptake and attenuation in PET/CT in elderly. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2016 Dec;273(12):4385-4389.
View Dr. Semaan’s publications on PubMed.
Professional and Research Interests
- Body (abdominal and pelvic) MRI
- Oncologic cross-sectional imaging
- Musculoskeletal imaging and image-guided therapeutics
Education and Training
- B.S. degree, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon, 2007
- M.D. degree, American University of Beirut, 2011
- Residency in Diagnostic Radiology, American University of Beirut Medical Center, 2016
- Fellowship in Oncologic Imaging, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, N.Y., U.S.A., 2017
- Fellowship in Musculoskeletal Radiology, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, N.Y., 2018