Residency and Fellowship Programs
LAU GME offers 17 residency programs including both categorical and preliminary tracks, and seven fellowship programs.
Residency positions available for Academic Year 2023-2024 are shown below:
- Anesthesia (categorical track)*
- Dermatology categorical (first year spent as rotating PGYI in Internal Medicine)
- Diagnostic Imaging categorical track (first year spent as rotating PGYI in the departments of Internal Medicine and Surgery)
- Emergency Medicine (categorical & preliminary tracks) *
- Family Medicine (categorical track) *
- General Surgery (categorical & preliminary tracks)*
- Internal Medicine (categorical & preliminary tracks)*
- Neurology categorical (with first year spent as rotating PGYI in the department of Internal Medicine)
- Neurosurgery categorical (with first year spent as rotating PGYI in the Surgery department)
- Obstetrics & Gynecology (categorical)
- Ophthalmology categorical (with first year spent as Rotating PGYI in the departments of Internal Medicine, Surgery and Pediatrics)
- Orthopedics categorical (with first year spent as rotating PGYI in Surgery)
- Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (categorical track)*
- Pathology (categorical track) *
- Pediatrics (categorical track) *
- Psychiatry (categorical track-first year spent rotating PGYI in Internal Medicine)
- Urology categorical (with first year spent as rotating PGYI in the Surgery department)
*Categorical track leads to certification in the chosen specialty where the length of training depends on the specialty.
*Preliminary track and rotating year are a one-year track that doesn’t lead to certification in the specialty.
Fellowship (post-residency) positions are available in the following specialty areas:
- Infectious Diseases
- Pulmonary & Critical Care
For residency and fellowship programs beginning in AY 2023-2024, the application period is November 15, 2022 through January 31, 2023.
GME applications (residency and fellowship) are posted on the MyEvaluation platform. Interested candidates should send an email to the GME Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to obtain the credentials necessary to access the platform. Please mentions in the email your DOB and the fathers’ name. Online submission of the application and required documents is made via the Onboarding & Credentialing Dashboard / Residency Application.
Following online submission, candidates must submit official copies of the diploma, the transcript and the receipt of application payment to the GME office located in the Sarraf Building Level 2, near the LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital in Achrafieh, Beirut. You can pass by from Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 3:00 pm. Note that the GME office will be CLOSED from December 24, 2022 - January 2, 2023 (inclusive) for the Christmas and New Year’s holiday. The online applications will still be open during this period.
Note that any application document written in a language other than English must be accompanied by an acceptable original English translation performed by a qualified translator and certified by an appropriate authority.
Upon receipt and preliminary review of the application and documents, the GME Office will forward completed files to the director of the concerned program(s).
Eligibility, Requirements & Qualifying Examinations
All applicants to the GME programs should hold a Medical Diploma granted by an institution that is listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) and acknowledged by the Lebanese Ministry of Higher Education.
GME applicants are required to submit the following:
- GME online application posted on the MyEvaluation platform. To access the online platform, please contact the GME office to obtain the credentials required for access.
- Photocopy of the applicant’s valid identity card or passport.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) prepared within three months of the application.
- Personal statement describing the applicant’s interest in the chosen specialty.
- Certified copy of the Medical Degree (MD) or if not applicable, a Dean’s Letter from the medical school in which the applicant is/was enrolled.
- Certified copy of the medical school transcript of record.
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation (LoR) provided by faculty members who had academic contact with the applicant. The LoR should include information about the applicant’s knowledge, clinical skills, professionalism, inter-professional and communication skills.
- One recent passport-size color photographs of the applicant.
- The GME application fee:
- To apply for only one choice: 75 USD
- For every additional choice (total of three): 25 USD - Note: Lower chance of interviews might be granted to third choice applicants depending on program’s needs.
- The fees should be paid through a bank transfer. Alternatively, you may pay in person at the Main Cashier of LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital in Achrafieh; you will be asked to provide your full name and LAU I.D. number. A copy of the completed, signed, stamped receipt should be forwarded by email to email@example.com .
All applicants must submit score reports of the following:
- USMLE Step 2 Clinical Knowledge, or its equivalent, the International Foundations of Medicine Clinical Science Examination (IFOM CSE).
Note: The IFOM CSE/USMLE Step 2 scores will be considered as part of the applicant’s “Academic Performance”. The scores’ relative weight in the evaluation of the applicant may vary among specialty programs.
Required Proof of Proficiency in English
For graduates of non-American medical schools, score report of performance on one of the following English Language Proficiency examinations is requested.
Qualifying examinations and minimum qualifying scores include any of the following:
- Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) with a minimum score of 90. The Institutional TOEFL is not accepted.
- English Entrance Exam (EEE) administered at LAU with a minimum score of 123. Interested candidates can contact the testing center for the available EEE dates. The registration for the EEE is online. As soon as you submit your online GME application via the MyEvaluation platform, and pay for the application fee, within 3-10 working days, you will receive an email from the admission office with credentials to LAU portal in case you would like to register for the EEE.
- International English Language Testing System IELTS with a minimum score of 7.0
- Duo Lingo with a minimum score of 115
- Occupational English Test (OET) with a minimum averaged score of 350
Applicants whose scores on the English tests fall below the scores mentioned above will not be accepted.
Fellowship Application Requirements
Fellowship application requirements are identical to the residency application requirements delineated above.
|Opening of GME applications||November 15, 2022|
|Deadline of GME applications||January 31, 2023|
|IFOM & English proficiency exam accepted till||February 28, 2023|
|Call for interviews||March 1- March 21, 2023|
|Interviews||March 10 - March 31, 2023|
|Letters of acceptance and waiting list||April 10 - April 28, 2023|
|Late acceptance (in case of withdrawal of an accepted candidate) & rejection letters||May 2023|
|Orientation week||June 5-9, 2023|
|Residency start date||June 12, 2023|