Residency and Fellowship Programs
LAU GME offers 17 residency programs including both categorical and preliminary tracks, and seven fellowship programs.
Residency positions available at the PGY-I level for Academic Year 2020-2021 are shown below:
- Anesthesia (categorical track)*
- Dermatology categorical (first year spent as rotating PGYI in Internal Medicine)
- Diagnostic Imaging categorical track (first year spent as rotating PGYI in the departments of Internal Medicine and General Surgery)
- Emergency Medicine (categorical track)*
- Family Medicine (categorical track)*
- General Surgery (categorical & preliminary tracks)*
- Internal Medicine (categorical & preliminary tracks)*
- Neurology categorical (with first year spent as rotating PGYI in the department of Internal Medicine)
- Neurosurgery categorical (with first year spent as rotating PGYI in General Surgery)
- Obstetrics & Gynecology (categorical track)*
- Ophthalmology categorical(with first year spent as Rotating PGYI in the departments of Internal Medicine, Surgery and Pediatrics)
- Orthopedics categorical(with first year spent as rotating PGYI in General Surgery)
- Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (categorical track)*
- Pediatrics (categorical track)*
- Pathology (categorical track)*
- Psychiatry categorical track (first year spent as rotating PGYI in Internal Medicine)
- Urology categorical (with first year spent as rotating PGYI in General Surgery)
*Categorical track leads to certification in the chosen specialty. The length of residency training varies with the specialty.
*Preliminary track and rotating year are one-year tracks that do not lead to certification in the specialty. They are designed to provide a broad clinical experience that will serve as a foundation for further training in specialties requiring previous graduate medical education, such as Dermatology, Neurology, Ophthalmology, Psychiatry, General Surgery, Neurosurgery, Orthopedic Surgery and Urology.
Fellowship (post-residency) positions are available in the following specialty areas:
- Infectious Diseases
- Pulmonary & Critical Care
Chief Resident positions: Information is available on request through the GME Office.
For residency and fellowship programs beginning in AY 2020-2021, the application period is November 29, 2019 through January 31, 2020.
GME applications (residency and fellowship) are posted on the MyEvaluation platform. Interested candidates should contact the GME Office to obtain the credentials necessary to access the platform. Online submission of the application and required documents is made via the Onboarding & Credentialing Dashboard / Residency Application.
Following online submission, candidates must submit a hard copy of the application and official copies of the required documents to the GME office located in the Sarraf Building Level 1, near the LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital in Achrafieh, Beirut.
Note that any application document written in a language other than English must be accompanied by an acceptable original English translation performed by a qualified translator and certified by an appropriate authority.
Upon receipt and preliminary review of the application and documents, the GME Office will forward completed files to the director of the concerned program(s). Note that if no USMLE Step-2 score was submitted, the GME Office will await results of the IFOM CSE prior to forwarding the application.
Eligibility, Requirements & Qualifying Examinations
All applicants to the GME programs should hold a Medical Diploma granted by an institution that is listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) and acknowledged by the Lebanese Ministry of Higher Education.
GME applicants are required to submit the following:
- GME online application posted on the MyEvaluation platform. To access the online platform, please contact the GME office to obtain the credentials required for access.
- Photocopy of the applicant’s valid identity card or passport.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) prepared within three months of the application.
- Personal statement describing the applicant’s interest in the chosen specialty.
- Certified copy of the Medical Degree (MD) or if not applicable, a Dean’s Letter from the medical school in which the applicant is/was enrolled.
- Certified copy of the medical school transcript of record.
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation provided by faculty members who have had academic contact with the applicant (see template for Letter of Recommendation available on the MyEvaluation Platform)
- Two recent passport-size color photographs of the applicant.
- Application fee of 150,000 L.L.
Applicants must submit score reports of the following:
- USMLE Step 2 Clinical Knowledge, or its equivalent, the International Foundations of Medicine Clinical Science Examination (IFOM CSE), and
- USMLE Step 1 or its equivalent, the International Foundations of Medicine Basic Science Examination (IFOM BSE).
For graduates of LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine, only the following score reports are required: USMLE Step 2 Clinical Knowledge, or its equivalent, the International Foundations of Medicine Clinical Science Examination (IFOM CSE).
Note: The IFOM BSE/USMLE Step 2 scores will be considered as part of the applicant’s “Academic Performance”. The scores’ relative weight in the evaluation of the applicant may vary among specialty programs.
Required Proof of Proficiency in English
For graduates of non-American medical schools, score reports of an approved English-language proficiency examination should be submitted.
Qualifying examinations and minimum qualifying scores include any of the following:
- English Entrance Examination administered at LAU (minimum score of 550)
- International TOEFL (score of 233 or 90 on CBT or IBT respectively)
- International English Language Testing System IELTS (score of 7.0)
Fellowship Application Requirements
Fellowship application requirements are identical to the residency application requirements delineated above.
|Accept GME applications||As of November 29, 2019|
|Deadlines for GME applications submission||January 31, 2020|
|IFOM & TOEFL exam results to be submitted||February 10, 2020|
|Call for interviews||February 24- March 9, 2020|
|Interviews conducted||March 16 - March 31, 2020|
|Letters of acceptance and waiting list||April 13 - April 30, 2020|
|Late acceptance (in case of withdrawal of an accepted candidate) & rejection letters||May 2020|
|Contracts offered||June 1, 2020|
|Orientation week||June 1-5, 2020|
|Residency start date||June 8, 2020|