In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, and for the safety of all concerned, the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine will be unable to accept visiting students until further notice. Updates to this notification will be posted here on an ongoing basis. We appreciate your continued patience and understanding during this unprecedented time.
The Lebanese American University Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine and its main affiliated hospital, LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital, accept only visiting students who are in good academic standing and who have satisfactorily completed their pre-clinical courses and core clerkships.
The school of medicine welcomes visiting students according to the schedule of the rotations below based on availability. Visiting students should apply at least two months before the start date of the elective. The minimum duration of electives at the school of medicine is four weeks.
Students are responsible for arranging on their own expenses, housing and boarding, as well as their own transportation in addition to all gasoline and parking fees incurred.
Once a preliminary acceptance has been issued, the student must provide the following additional documents within 30 days of the acceptance email before further consideration of the application:
- One recent passport-sized photo
- A photocopy of the identity card or passport
- A letter of good standing
- A letter of recommendation from the Dean’s Office including information regarding clinical clerkships that were completed or are in progress
- A completed immunization form confirming evidence of vaccination including hepatitis B and a recent PPD test.
- Medical health insurance coverage
- Liability insurance coverage (in case of clinical rotation)
- Drug screen test (for international applicants)
A final acceptance (or rejection) email will be issued within two weeks of receipt of all pertinent documents. It is the responsibility of the visiting student to ask for a performance evaluation through the Office of Medical Education and to make sure the evaluation is processed and delivered to home institution. The school of medicine may use its own form or any other evaluation form provided by the home institution of the student.
Visiting students may apply for an elective/observership by submitting an online application. A 75 USD non-refundable fee will be charged at the time of application (online payment). Online application will not be considered until the applicant submits a transcript and an updated CV.
The school of medicine offers electives in the following departments as well as their respective available sub-specialties:
- Internal Medicine (and sub-specialties including Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Social Medicine and others)
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Surgery (and sub-specialties including Orthopedic Surgery, Urology and others)
- Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Sep 30, 2019 - Oct 27, 2019
- Nov 25, 2019 - Dec 22, 2019
- Oct 28, 2019 - Nov 24, 2019
- Dec 23, 2019 - Jan 19, 2020
- Jan 20, 2020 - Feb 16, 2020
- Feb 17, 2020 - Mar 15, 2020
- Mar 16, 2020 - Apr 12, 2020
- Apr 13, 2020 - May 10, 2020
- May 11, 2020 - May 24, 2020
- May 25, 2020 - June 21, 2020