The Lebanese American University Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine (LAU SOM) and its main affiliated hospital, LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital, accept only visiting students who are in good academic standing and who satisfactorily completed their pre-clinical courses and core clerkships.
LAU SOM welcomes visiting students according to the schedule of the rotations below based on availability. Visiting students should apply at least two months before the start date of the elective. The minimum duration of electives at LAU SOM is 4 weeks.
Students are responsible for arranging on their own expenses housing and boarding as well as their own transportation in addition to all gas and parking fees incurred.
List of Requirements
Once a preliminary acceptance is issued, the student must provide the following additional documents within 30 days of the acceptance email before further considering the application:
- One recent passport-size photo
- A photocopy of the identity card or passport
- A letter of good standing
- A letter of recommendation from the Dean’s Office including information regarding clinical clerkships that were completed or are in progress
- A completed immunization form confirming evidence of vaccination including hepatitis B and a recent PPD test. Please click here to download the form
- Medical Health Insurance coverage
- Malpractice Insurance coverage (in case of clinical rotation)
- Drug Screen test (for International applicants)
A final acceptance (or rejection) email will be issued within 2 weeks from receiving all proper documents. It is the responsibility of the visiting student to ask for a performance evaluation through the Office of Medical Education and to make sure the evaluation is processed and delivered to home institution. The LAU SOM may use its own form or any other evaluation form provided by the home institution of the student.
Visiting students can apply for an elective/observership by submitting an online application available here. A 75 USD non-refundable fee will be charged upon applying (online payment). Online application will not be considered until the applicant submits a transcript and an updated CV.
List of Electives Offered
LAU SOM offers electives in the following departments as well as their respective available subspecialties:
- Internal Medicine (and subspecialties including Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Social Medicine and others)
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Surgery (and subspecialties including Orthopedic Surgery, Urology and others)
- Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Schedule of the rotations
- Sep 30, 2019 – Oct 27, 2019
- Nov 25, 2019 – Dec 22, 2019
- Oct 28, 2019 – Nov 24, 2019
- Dec 23, 2019 – Jan 19, 2020
- Jan 20, 2020 – Feb 16, 2020
- Feb 17, 2020 – Mar 15, 2020
- Mar 16, 2020 – Apr 12, 2020
- Apr 13, 2020 – May 10, 2020
- May 11, 2020 – May 24, 2020
- May 25, 2020 – June 21, 2020