Med IV Electives
Elective clerkships are mandatory requirements in the 4th year of the MD program at the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine and correspond to 14 weeks.
The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic has significantly impacted medical education and consequently has affected elective placement all over the world. Extramural elective opportunities have been suspended; some intramural electives have gone virtual with no patient contact, while others have been offered in hybrid mode with restricted presence at the teaching sites. The elective application process has not changed, however the approval of a given elective is largely contingent on COVID- 19 status and on the site’s ability and willingness to accept students during the pandemic.
The Lebanese American University Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine is constantly monitoring disease transmissibility and severity, and making time-sensitive decisions through tight coordination with the LAU Emergency Health Response Committee.
As students of LAU and its school of medicine, you are required to review and comply with all COVID-19 university protocols as updated on the LAU website (https://www.lau.edu.lb/covid19/lau-measures/). These guidelines, regulations and protocols are established for the safety of our community and will be shared with you on an ongoing basis.
An elective rotation is considered intramural when it is offered at any of the following LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine affiliated sites:
- Lebanese American University Medical Center - Rizk Hospital (LAUMC-RH)
- Sacred Heart Hospital
- Psychiatric Hospital of the Cross (PHC)
- Military Hospital (MH)
- Other clinical sites with specific affiliated departments
Elective applications need to be completed one month prior to the start date of the elective.
Students are not permitted to register for the following intramural elective rotations unless they have already completed their respective core requirements:
- Radiology Subspecialties
- Emergency Medicine
Students interested in an intramural elective should apply at least one month before the start date of the elective. (However, note that for the Urology elective the required period is two months. Complete details may be found in the Urology elective guide posted on Blackboard).
- The student begins by completing and submitting the Online Intramural Application.
- Upon receipt, the Office of Medical Education (OME) will initiate processing of the application and will secure approval or rejection of the elective.
- Finally, the OME will inform the student of the final decision via email.
Please click here to apply for an Intramural Elective
Extramural electives are rotations completed at sites not affiliated with the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine. To qualify as an elective site, the external institution must be approved by the Office of Medical Education. Extramural electives are of two types, National and International. Elective applications need to be completed a minimum of one month prior to the start date of the elective to ensure timely processing.
Students interested in an extramural elective should apply at least one month before the start date of the elective.
- The student expresses his/her intent by completing the online Extramural Application Form.
- The student will receive a preliminary approval once the elective choice and the site are approved by the OME.
- The student may then initiate contact with the site and complete its required application process.
- Once the student receives the approval of the hosting site and submits the following documents to the OME, a final approval will be granted:
- Medical Health Insurance coverage
- Liability Insurance coverage as requested by the hosting site
- Official acceptance letter from the hosting site
- Complete and updated immunization record
The student must identify a contact person at the hosting site who would be responsible for the elective and the assessment of the student’s performance. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that the identified contact person has sent a timely evaluation to the OME on completion of the elective; otherwise the elective will not be considered as satisfactorily complete. In such a case, a remedial elective would be scheduled at LAU Medical Center- Rizk Hospital.
Please click here to apply for an Extramural Elective