Anna Farra, MD, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Department of Internal Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
Microbiology Discipline Coordinator
Dr. Anna Farra obtained her medical degree from Karolinska Institute in Sweden in 1996. She also completed a diploma in tropical medicine in France in 1995. After performing clinical work at a number of different hospitals in Sweden, Dr. Farra returned to Stockholm, where she completed her residency in infectious diseases at Karolinska University Hospital in 2006.
Dr. Farra earned her Ph.D. entitled “Antibiotic resistance and antibiotic consumption in Sweden with focus on Escherichia coli and Pseudomonas aeruginosa” in 2007 at Karolinska Institute.
Dr. Farra has a keen interest in world health. She traveled to Zambia on a minor field project in 1996. She has also been very engaged with the NGO “Doctors without Borders” (Medecins sans Frontieres-MSF) with whom she has worked abroad on several occasions, mainly in Myanmar (Burma) in HIV clinics; in addition she has been a member of the Swedish MSF board for several years.
Since her return to Lebanon in 2008, Dr. Farra has been quite involved in establishing and developing programs at the LAU Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine. She works mainly with the microbiology/immunology and infectious disease curricula, in both preclinical and clinical settings. Additionally she is currently an attending physician in Infectious Diseases at LAU Medical Center-Rizk Hospital.
Dr. Farra has also been a founding member of the interprofessional education (IPE) program at LAU. She has been involved in the design and implementation of both the didactic and practical parts of the IPE program.
For a comprehensive list of publications, please refer to Dr. Farra’s PubMed page.
Professional and Research Interests
- Specialty in infectious diseases
- Research interests in antimicrobial resistance
- Medical education: interprofessional education, communication techniques
- World health
Education and Training
- M.D. degree, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden, 1996
- Internship, Enkoping Hospital and Uppsala University Hospital, 1998
- Specialization in Infectious Diseases, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden, 2006
- Ph.D. in Antimicrobial Resistance, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden, 2007
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Swedish Medical Association
- Swedish Society of Medicine
- Swedish Infectious Diseases Medical Association